Located in the Twin Cities metro area, Eagan is home to about 68,000 people. The City operates under a Council-Administrator form of government, employing 250 regular full-time employees, and up to 400 seasonal and part-time employees. Regarded as a great place to live, work and play, the City of Eagan prides itself on exceptional customer service and employs a stable workforce with experienced and professional staff. Areas of employment include finance, engineering, law enforcement, fire safety, parks and recreation, forestry, public works and utilities, community development, sports and fitness, arts and preschool education, etc. Visit our website to learn more at www.cityofeagan.com!
The City of Eagan is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Eagan Civic Arena
Pay: $14.36 - $20.36 per hour, DOQ
Part-time recurring (year-round), not benefit eligible
The City of Eagan is hiring Ice Skating Instructors!
This position is responsible for organizing, leading, and instructing learn to skate classes, which may
include Beginner through Delta and Freestyle 1-10 levels, ISI teams, and basic hockey skating skills.
Instructors may also be required to assist in test sessions, exhibitions, competitions, birthday parties,
summer camp, special events and the annual spring ice show. This is a part-time recurring position
(year-round), non-exempt, not benefit eligible. Classes are offered year-round. Scheduled hours are
typically 1-8 hours on ice per week dependent on class times offered each session and registration
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
• Organize, lead, and teach basic ice-skating skills, figure skating skills, and/or hockey skills for
the appropriate classes with an emphasis on safety and fun.
• Communicate effectively with groups of skaters ages 3 to adult.
• Help set-up for classes and help with clean-up after classes.
• Assist in running test sessions, exhibitions, competitions, birthday parties, summer camp and
special events, as well as helping with choreography for, and helping run, the annual spring
• Assess and test skaters. Complete and track performance evaluations as needed.
• Attend annual fall seminar and/or in-house training sessions for continued education and
• Other duties as assigned
OTHER POSITION FUNCTIONS:
• Option to teach competitive teams and private lessons; duties include choreography, costume
design, editing music, instruction, and traveling to competitions
• Must be 16 years of age or older
• Ability to skate proficiently with a background in figure skating or hockey
• Knowledge of various teaching methodology and guidelines for ice skating such as the I.S.I. or
• Currently are, or will become, a professional member of the Ice-Skating Institute
• Currently carry, or will obtain, proper liability insurance
• Currently have, or will obtain, bronze ISI judging certification or above
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Ability to work effectively with co-workers, youth, adults, and the public
• Ability to perform all essential position functions under the working conditions as described
• Knowledge or experience with the organization and supervision of skating school classes
• Experience choreographing ice-skating programs and ice shows
• Experience working with children ages 3 and above, children with special needs, and adults
• Familiarity with the Ice-Skating Institute program and it’s guidelines
• Silver, Gold, and Group ISI judging certifications
• United States Figure Skating member
• Professional Skaters Association member
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
• Indirect supervision of Assistant Instructors, and Volunteers
• Working conditions: 80% on-ice, 20% off-ice
• Arena temperature may vary between 30-70 degrees
WORK HOURS AND SCHEDULES:
• Part-time recurring position year-round offering daytime, evening and weekend hours from 1-8
hours on ice per week during skate school sessions and 1-4 hours of off ice hours per week
• Required to be available at minimum once a week for Fall, Winter and Spring sessions;
however, more availability and flexibility is highly preferred.
• Additional daytime, evening and weekend hours